The Manager of Arboretum and Grounds will be responsible for overseeing the horticultural maintenance of the 250-acre historic landscape of The New York Botanical Garden. They will directly supervise turf experts, arborists, gardeners, and other horticultural professionals as they care for seventy acres of turf, thirty thousand trees, and a diverse array of curated gardens and hardy plant collections. They will collaborate with Horticulture managers and curators to develop and implement management plans and plant health programs that ensure the highest standard of horticultural care. They will be responsible for managing and maintaining the Garden-wide irrigation system and all tools, supplies, vehicles, and equipment used in the care of the landscape and living collections.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Manager of Arboretum and Grounds, in collaboration with the AP Farm AVP for Horticulture Operations, is responsible for implementing all aspects of planning, maintenance, daily care, supervision of the Garden’s 250-acre historic landscape including turf and grounds, tree and shrub collections, natural landscapes, gardens, woody plant nursery, compost facility, garden-wide irrigation system, and the management and maintenance of all supplies and equipment involved in these activities.
- Directly supervises staff of more than twenty landscape professionals responsible for maintaining the highest standard of excellence in turf care, general landscape maintenance, mature tree care, planting, transplanting, pruning, plant health care, composting, irrigation systems, weeding, leaf removal, snow removal, and other essential landscape maintenance tasks.
- Implement Safety policies and training requirements to ensure industry compliance.
- Provides direction, training and motivation for the horticultural staff, interns and volunteers.
- Collaborates closely with Director of Plant Health to support overall plant health and soil nutrition strategies for outdoor landscape, including sustainable gardening practices and integrated pest management.
- Monitors conditions of all outdoor areas and implements best management practices to ensure the highest horticultural standards are achieved.
- Assists with planning, coordination and facilitation of work performed for the Garden by outside contractors throughout the landscape and grounds.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Horticulture Operations Center, including woody plant nursery and the associated propagation and storage facilities. Coordinates deliveries of plants and supplies with curators and managers.
- Assists AVP of Horticulture Operations with the management of Garden-wide irrigation system and works with contractors and staff to implement annual maintenance, repairs, and
- Works closely with all other Garden departments to facilitate, coordinate, and implement construction, installation, and other work for landscapes, gardens, public, and special events, educational programs, and exhibitions.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in landscape and gardens maintenance and management or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing a highly skilled workforce responsible for the horticultural care of a historic landscape
- Formal training in horticulture, landscape management, or closely related field at a university, botanical garden, or trade school
- New York State Pesticide Applicator License Categories 3A and 5B (upon or within 6 months of hire) with the ability to obtain 5A, 6A, 7A, and 8, if necessary.
- ISA Certified Arborist with TRAQ certification (upon or within 6 months of hire)
- OSHA 30 Training for General Industry (upon for within 6 months of hire)
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Nursery management or propagation experience desirable
Location/Region: New York, NY